As you might suspect, I love a good lie in. In fact, I love them so much I will often choose an extra 5 or 10 minutes in bed over allowing myself time for the basic things like brushing my hair or applying make-up. These things can easily be done on the run; as I pour my coffee or walk to work. Enjoying my relaxed dream state and snuggling under the warm covers for a few more minutes, on the other hand, cannot.
Breakfast is no exception to this shift of priorities, and often my first meal of the day is consumed in the bedroom getting dressed, breathlessly on my walk to work or worse still, not at all. Once in a blue moon I may have been super organised and made a healthy vegetable juice in preparation the night before; but even this is gulped down 2 seconds before I brushing my teeth and running out of the door!
But weekends – especially those with no particular plans or deadlines – I can really go to town and cook myself up a fuel friendly feast, to start my day off with a bang! So this week I wanted to share a favourite vegan breakfast recipe of mine; which takes about 10 minutes to cook and is jam packed with yumminess to slow you down, so you can enjoy every last bite!
Lazy Vegan Recipe: “cheesy” Scrambled Tofu with Garlic Mushrooms and Kale
- 1 349g block of firm Tofu
- 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon of mustard seeds
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 4 mushrooms cut into quarters
- 3 cherry tomatoes cut into half
- In a bowl, mash together the tofu and nutritional yeast.
- Heat up the oil on a medium to high setting and fry up the garlic, mustard seeds and mushrooms for a couple of minutes.
- Once the mushrooms are starting to brown, add the kale and cherry tomatoes. Cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Add the tofu mixture and use a flat edged spatula to scramble it as it cooks; just as you would with an egg.
- The tofu will stick to the pan so keep stirring for a further 3-4 minutes.
- Et voila! You have a quick, nutritious and very delicious Vegan friendly breakfast!
Geeky nutrition facts:
- Swapping your scrambled egg for tofu gives you almost twice the amount of protein and 40% less calories.
- Half a cup (about half a serving of the above recipe) of tofu provides 22% of your RDA of calcium and 10% of your iron (you’ll get another 10% from the kale!)