Happy Meat Free Monday!!
The last couple of weeks I have been trying to get into a proper running routine (not the best time of year to be motivated!) but have been craving a little sweet treat to err…keep my energy up?!! I have seen a few chocolate peanut butter recipes recently and I wanted to give it a go.
What makes this recipe so simple is it only needs 6 ingredients for a truly decadent treat: coconut oil, coco powder, agave (or maple) syrup, ground almonds, peanut butter and salt.
Sneak peek – this is also very timely, as this coming Sunday I have an interview with the beautiful founder of Lucy Bee coconut oil. So I thought it only apt that I test out the product before we get chatting!
Easy Vegan Salty Peanut and chocolate Bites
- 3 tbsp ground almonds
- 1 tbsp. melted Lucy Bee coconut oil
- 2 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp. agave syrup
- 1/2 Tsp. of sea salt
Peanut Butter Filling:
- 3 tbsp smooth natural peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup
- 1 tablespoon melted Lucy Bee coconut oil
- Pinch of sea salt
1. Line a bread tin with parchment paper (or with soy spread if you don’t have any!) and set it aside.
2. Mix together all of the chocolate crust ingredients and press evenly into the bottom of the tin. Place it in the freezer on a flat surface to set.
3. In the same bowl, mix together the peanut butter, syrup, coconut oil and salt.
4. Remove the almond base from the freezer and slowly pour the peanut butter mixture on top, using a spatula to spread evenly. Return to the freezer to set.
5. Clean out the mixing bowl, and add the cocoa powder, melted coconut oil, and syrup, whisking well to break up any lumps of powder.
6. Once it’s completely smooth, pour it over the peanut butter layer, and return to the freezer for about an hour to set.
7. Once the bars are ready, either grab the edges of parchment paper to left out or (if using spread like me) use a butter knife to gently run around the edge to release. You might find it easier to let it defrost for a few minutes before attempting this.
8. Use a sharp knife to cut into bite size squares. They are very rich so don’t get greedy with your portion sizes!!
These yummy treats will keep for up to a month if kept in an Store air-tight container in the freezer or 2 weeks in the fridge. Enjoy!