Happy meat free Monday lazy green people!
As Monday always feels like the longest day of the week, and when you get home you aren’t always in the mood to cook, I thought I would share a favourite easy vegan recipe of mine. And the best thing is, this recipe serves about 4 people; so if there are less of you, you have a whole other meal ready for you to have another day!
Tofu satay with Purple Sprouting broccoli
- 1 pack of tofu, drained and cut into bite size cubes (you can get the ready drained or marinated versions if you are feeling super lazy)
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced into thin disks
- 6 cherry tomato cut into halves
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- A handful of Purple sprouting broccoli (I love the colour it brings to the dish but you could just use regular green broccoli if you prefer)
- Something seasonal and green – I used asparagus but mange tout works well too
- 2-3 tablespoons of peanut butter
- 1 pint of veggie stock
- Sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- Add to a dash of oil to a pan, and fry the onion on a medium to hot setting, until soft and starting to brown
- Add the tofu chunks and fry for about 3 minutes longer, stirring gently
- Throw in the carrots, soy sauce and greens and cook for about 5 minutes more
- Now make it super saucy! Mix the peanut butter into the hot veg stock and stir, stir, stir! At this stage you can add a little corn flour or wholemeal flour to thicken it up if you like.
- Pour into the pan and turn the heat down so the sauce simmers away gently
- Once the sauce has been cooking for about 10 minutes and had reduced down a little, add the broccoli and cherry tomatoes
- Serve up with rice, or noodles, and a sprinkle of sesame seeds