Well, happy Meat free Monday lazy green people!!
This weekend has been a bit of a crazy one and I have to admit that I’ve really not done much in the way of advancing my “going green” journey. But it was filled with surfing, running, yoga and coastal walks; so at least I wasn’t my usual lazy self!
Speaking of which, I thought I would share another one of my magic recipes; which is easy, quick (vegan of course) and once made, makes up several meals in advance.
- 1/2 c. dried brown lentils, rinsed
- 1 cup of water
- 8 oz. chestnut mushrooms (I think they give a “meatier” texture)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- ½ cup of grated carrot
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 1 tsp. your favourite herbs or spice
- 4 burger buns + lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, and whatever else you like on your burgers
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine lentils, and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and then simmer over low heat for 10 minutes, until they are partially cooked. Remove from heat, drain, and cool slightly.
- Add mushrooms, carrot and lentils to food processor. Pulse until coarsely chopped (if you don’t have a food processor, no worries, just cook the lentils for longer until they are soft enough to mash with a potato masher: making sure they are still textured and lumpy!)
- Heat olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds. Stir in mushroom-carrot-lentil mix and cook for about 4 minutes or until browned, stirring constantly.
- Stir in stock, soy sauce, rice, and herbs/spices and cook until liquid has been absorbed. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Grease a baking tray with some low fat oil. Divide the burger mixture into patties and tightly pat them into shape on the tray.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes and if you’re feeling extra naughty, top with your favourite (vegan…) cheese and grill for a couple of minutes. I served mine with sweet potato chips and hummus in a salad roll.
This made about 8 Burgers, so I froze the ones we didn’t eat as a healthy oven friendly meal for another day!