Not usually one for following recipes; I never really have the patience to follow something step-by-step, and usually end up free-styling and making it up. But…last week my friend told me she had made her own granola, and it actually sounded very easy to do. In fact, what I love is the fact you really don’t need to follow any strict ingredient list, and can add anything you have lying around in the cupboard. You literally just chuck in what you fancy!
As a vegan, this is also an easy way to get a morning boost of some of the vitamins and Minerals I need to be healthy! So here is what I used:
- Handful of hazelnuts, brazil nuts, walnuts and almonds (but any of your favourite nuts will do!)
- 1 cup of mixed seeds – I used linseed, hemp seed and sesame
- 2-3 cups of rolled oats – I threw in a sprinkling of rye oats and bran too
- Preheat oven to 190c
- Sprinkle your nuts and seeds on a flat baking try
- Sprinkle your oat mixture on another
- Place both in the middle of the oven and leave to toast for about 15-20 minutes (keep an eye and shake them every 10 mins as oven temperatures vary
- Once you are happy with the toastiness of your nuts and seeds, leave out to cool and decant into your favourite tin!
- For an extra nutty taste, try serving with almond milk or coconut milk – nom!!
Also – being extra lazy I killed two birds with one stone and toasted a separate tray of seeds. These brighten up any sorry looking salad and have become a favourite snack of mine to grab if in a hurry!